I don’t know about you, but I don’t really enjoy small talk. Most of my friends can attest to this. I don’t enjoy talking about fluffy, surface level things. I want to get to the heart of what’s going on. I want to hear about what’s going on with your soul.
Unfortunately this trait does not always translate to my relationship with God. There are times when I am angry with God. There are times where I’m frustrated that God doesn’t change my circumstances. There are times where I think God is distant and so I avoid talking to him.
Maybe you’re reading this and faith isn’t an important part of your life. Maybe the idea of talking to God is foreign to you. That’s ok. In the Christian faith we believe that God wants to have a personal relationship with each and every human being on the planet. However, God doesn’t force himself on anyone. He allows us to choose whether or not we want to have a relationship with him.
In case you missed it, I’m not a perfect person. Any relationship is going to have some ups and downs. However, having a relationship with God is unique in the fact that one of the individuals in the relationship is perfect. This can make things difficult as most relationships involve give and take. A relationship with God is pretty one sided. God initiates the relationship, forgives us, loves us, and is consistent even when we mess up.
So what happens when you have a relationship with God, and he feels distant? I have actually discovered a few things that have helped me.
- Talk to God.Whenever it has been a while since I’ve spent time with a close family member, I have found that talking to them helps improve the relationship. Most of the time I don’t hear God respond out loud, but I often notice other ways in which he speaks to me.
- Spend time with God. Have you ever sat outside and looked up at the stars? Have you ever sat by a river and listened to the rushing waters? I personally love sitting out in nature and connecting with God. It’s like a date for my soul. I leave feeling refreshed and connected.
- Sing to God. I’m not a good singer, but I love spending time singing to God. Songs allow me to express my emotions in ways that words often can’t. I love to put on some music and dance and pray in my room.
- Write a letter about how you’re feeling. I’ve found that there are often times where God feels distant because I’m avoiding talking about something that is bothering me. I’m very aware that God already knows what I’m thinking and struggling with, but there are times where I just don’t want to talk to him about things. Often I will avoid it for a period of time, but once I sit down and actually communicate what I’m feeling then I’m able to move forward.
- Make sure you are doing what God asked you to do. I’ve had times in my life where God asked me to do something, and I avoided doing it! This creates an awkward distance between God and myself, as I feel guilty for ignoring him. Once I finally decide to obey, then I’m able to move forward and restore the relationship.
- Wait.If none of those suggestions help, my final recommendation is just to wait. Sometimes relationships go through different seasons. Perhaps you are in a season of waiting. There is nothing wrong with that! God doesn’t change even if we don’t feel him or hear him. He is always with us!
Thank you for reading friends! If this encouraged you, please share it with a friend! I release a new blog post every week! Talk to you soon!